1. The more frayed the pages, the stronger the notes.
2. The simpler harmonies, the better the theology. The more frayed the cover, the higher the Christology.
3. Blood hymns aren’t morbid songs. They are reality checks to keep our Christianity from becoming too neat and clean.
4. Don’t place your hope in things you can’t depend on.
5. Jesus is not tied to a particular direction north, south, east, or west. As such, Jesus is not an American.
6. Love will not let you go. Love is like a blanket that pushes its way into your open hands.
7. If the book keeps opening to “Joy to the World” you know that Christmas isn’t an idea to be contained to one day a year.
8. If you don’t know where you’re going, ask someone else to guide you.
9. Find a beautiful place, by a river, to lay down those things burdening and killing your ability to live with others.
10. Singing makes you feel better. Jesus sang; we should too.