1. The Ascension isn’t about a flying, vertically launched airborne Jesus. Don’t get distracted by the flying Jesus.
2. Even Superman isn’t about a man who can fly; his mission is truth, justice, and the American way.
3. Jesus is focused on the Good News shared at ground level, by his disciples. The Good News at Ground Level begins with Baptism.
4. While everyone is looking up, who’s focusing on the coming Baptism? Certainly not the disciples.
5. This is last opportunity to ask Jesus questions indicating you still don’t “get” him or his ministry.
6. Perhaps Jesus leaves in such a visible manner because he’s tired of being asked, “Are you going to restore the kingdom now?” What does it take for everyone to get this point? Telling person after person, “that’s not my deal, man” wasn’t enough?
7. The disciples are not ready to move up after Jesus has moved out.
8. Where is our Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and to the end of the Earth?
9. Let’s figure out where our version of Samaria is.
10. I’m betting Samaria and the Samaritans need us.
11. The disciples are unprepared and unready to do anything without Jesus.
12. The Ascension is right now and we’re perennially starting over. You heard the guys, stop looking up. Look out, around, beyond, and look anywhere but up.