1. When in the course of human events: the time is now. There is no time like the present to take charge of your life and make better decisions.
2. We hold these truths to be self-evident: it’s staring you in the face. You know what you need to do; whether it’s mend a broken relationship, stop smoking, lose weight, or simply make an effort to be a happier person.
3. Deriving their just power from the consent of the governed: things go better when we are together. Agreement, ownership, consent, and friendship are the key to success. Talk things out.
4. We are all created equal: for too long equality has been where we start and finish, not a place to be in the middle. Be happy for the success of others; bring others along who aren’t doing as well. Get to know people as people. Listen to their stories. They’ll not be much different than yours.
5. Among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness: there’s more to life than getting drunk, sleeping it off, and existing until you crack the next bottle of hooch. What defines being happy today, tomorrow, and beyond? What makes life a multi-dimensional, emotional reality rather than a monosyllabic stare down? It’s the pursuit. Make the pursuit about a lasting sense of joy.