I live in rural North Carolina. I was born and raised here. I know Thanksgiving is a time for family discussions and catching up on the world around you. If you’re in the rural south (or anywhere really) let me offer these awkward topics for discussion at your Thanksgiving table. These are guaranteed to enliven any celebration. Use them at your own risk.
1. So Mom, is the upstairs bedroom ready for the refugees?
2. Have you read those Biblical verses about welcoming widows and orphans?
3. I’ve just enrolled in a new class in Sharia law. They make some super points.
4. You know, there are parts of the Bible which are just as brutal as the Quran.
5. What Would Jesus Do?
6. Are you going to eat the drumstick?
7. So I hear you’re supporting this podiatrist Ben Carson?
8. Allah is the basic Arabic word for God. We could substitute God with Allah when we bless our food.
9. Why did you make so few deviled eggs? You know I like deviled eggs. Someone ate more eggs than they were allotted by the Thanksgiving High Council.
10. Praying five times a day, formally, as mandated by some holy book. Who could get any work done? You spend all day long in prayer? Am I right?