1. Always have extra food on hand. Something, anything to offer a guest a small measure of welcome hospitality. Be prepared to feed as many people as possible.
2. A cup of coffee will go a long way to create the right space in which to listen to how someone’s day went.
3. Her to do list depended on maximizing the least amount of meager resources. Grandma needed others to give her a ride. As such, she knew how to make a to do list and get what mattered most when she had access to a car. She prioritized and made the most of her time and resources.
4. She made friends with all of her neighbors. She taught me race didn’t matter. People were people.
5. It’s OK to ask for help if you don’t know the answer to a question. Find a dictionary or person who might know the answer, if you need to, ask for help.